Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DO THE CAN CAN

I've been very very very lazy (hey, it's summer!)

But one thing we did today was drive to our closest LDS food cannery (now called home storage centers) and canned some food in #10 cans to add to our food supply.



I took my 3 handsome teen-age boys and they learned how to can sugar. Not only did it give them a break from their 24/7 computer games, but it let them see how and where the food they will most likely be eating in the future comes from.

I feel really good about our outing. It was a win/win for us all. I can check this off my list as something done towards emergency preparedness.



We also have a follow-up plan for my husband to pick up some cases of wheat, rice, and beans from the same cannery. (they said we didn't need to can those items - they were already canned and in cases.) How easy is that?

For information on home storage centers, go  to: www.providentliving.org

BTW - read in the paper this morning about how the USA is in a drought and as a result, food prices will go up.  Better to get the food before it becomes too expensive to afford.

















(that couldn't really happen, could it???)




No comments:

Post a Comment