Wednesday, August 29, 2012

FORWARD THINKING

I can't sleep. So I plug in my headphones. I happened to catch an episode called Provident Living about food storage.
(I borrowed this button from a Relief Society Blog. Cute, isn't it?)
 
 It lasted maybe 15 minutes, but it was packed with information; some I had not thought about. I didn't catch the person's name who was sharing information, or I would give him credit. (he has worked extensively with people in disaster areas)
 
 
His advice:
 
Do something each week to become better prepared: add information, equipment, or food to your storage.
 
"It's no excuse to do nothing because you can't do everything!"
 
Be forward thinking. Think about and plan for the future. Try to imagine "what would I do if.....?"

 
 
i.e.: What would I do if the power went out?
 
He suggested having water bottles in the fridge to keep the food cold longer. I am going to put some 2-3 liter bottles in the freezer to have in case I need to use them in the fridge or freezer to keep food cold.  frozen water bottles
 
 
He also suggested having supplies on hand to cure meat by salt brining it. I have no idea how to do that, so I would need to find out that information and have supplies on hand.
 
(I have already a good supply of salt. I have been buying salt each time I go to Walmart because I do not want to be eating my beans without salt.) I know you can buy salt in bigger quantities cheaper, but it is just convienent for me to pick up a package of salt every time I shop. Salt is good for so many things. I don't think you can have too much of it.
 
vacuum packing extends the shelf life. a smart thing to do if you don't want to have to rotate your food as often. (or you are like me, and you forget to grab the oldest first)

 
 
have menu based food storage. Have recipes that you have tried that use your food storage. Plan meals for 3 weeks, then 3 months. 
He has recipes to make pasta out of flour and water, and can create sourdough breads, and soups.
It's one thing to have the food storage, it's another to know what to do with it!
 
Right now in my life I have limited time to work on food storage. I really thought I would be able to have free time now that school has started, but I was offered a job yesterday and I took it. I am forward thinking that one of the things that will be in limited supply is money.
Jobs are already scarce and they are going to become more scarce. (my 2 older teen-age boys have not been able to find work) 
 Even though things are not as tight financially for us as they were in the past (because I worked a temporary job in May and June),  I don't know what they will be like in the future.
I love being a stay-at-home mom, but I have to take the opportunities that come my way to keep us as self-reliant as possible. If that means working outside the home, that is what I will do (my youngest is almost 16)
I want to turn the money I earn into food storage (and equipment such as a solar oven, etc.)

The radio program I heard got me thinking about self reliance again.  It's good to be reminded.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment