Friday, June 29, 2012

EVACUATION!

I have been watching with increasing concern the news of all the wildfires around the western United States that are causing families to flee from their homes.

Colorado

This disaster is monumental and the immense destruction of homes has been devastating!

How many of those who had to leave immediately had 72 hour kits ready to grab?  Were they thankful they had prepared for just such an emergency? 

( self reliant sisters )


I have never had to evacuate. Am I as prepared as I should be for this type of disaster?
What would I grab? (besides my 72 hour kit)    What should I try to save?

I found an evacuation list on a blog by Valerie



 I am going to update my own evacuation list and have it with my 72 hour kits.

It's disasters such as this one that bring home the reality
 that you never know when you will need to use your emergency preparedness.

(my 72 hour kits are in the closet by the front door, which includes a binder with all my important papers and documents)



UPDATE:
I walked thru my house to make a list of things I would rescue in case of a fire, and found that there is surprisingly little I would take with me.

My shoes, clothes, and hobbies take on no importance in the reality of a disaster. That's all just stuff.

The most important thing I don't want to lose are my family pictures






and I have them all on my laptop and external hard drive, so even if I lost all my scrapbooks and pictures on my walls, I still have a copy. I am very grateful for this technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment