Saturday, March 31, 2012

A hair clip, a hair clip, my kingdom for a hair clip!

You never know what you are going to need until you get in the situation to need it.
I needed a hair clip.

I had taken my son to the dentist and had opted to sit in the car with my book. I had damp hair from the shower, and was wearing a shirt with bleach spots and a hole in it. I did not care to go in and sit in a dentist's office where people I knew would be looking at me. (we live in a small town where everywhere you go you see someone you know)

After an hour, I had finished my book. It was getting hot. My hair had dried, and I was feeling the heat. I needed something to pull my hair up off my neck. I looked around my car: a flashlight, a pair of scissors, an earphone set, some change, some sticky notes, some napkins from fast food places - nothing that would work to pull my hair back.
I looked in my purse: mostly paper stuffs; nothing that would work for hair maintenance. I'm a minimalist when it comes to my purse.


I tried twisting my hair and using a pen to hold it up. It immediately fell back down.
By this time I was getting impatient for my son to be done and come out so we could go home and I could actually curl my hair and pull it up in a ponytail.
I couldn't understand what was taking so long!

I was also getting thirsty. I knew that my thirst was a sign of dehydration. I also knew I had bottles of water in the trunk of my car. I usually have them behind my seat on the floor, but we had thrown them in the trunk when it was my week to drive to seminary.
I knew I could easily get out and get one. I just didn't want to walk thru the gravel to get it - because in addition to looking like crap, I was barefoot! I had simply forgotten to put on shoes when we went out the door. You would think a person with 150 pairs of shoes would remember to put a pair on!
I'm just used to going barefoot at home. It feels natural to go au naturel when it comes to my feet.

Shoes - ahhh - I adore shoes!!!! The styles! - the colors! - it's all about fashion
when it comes to shoes.






---But, since I wasn't going to be on display, there was no need for shoes.
(and, yes, the clown shoes are included for a reason - but that's a story for another day!)
Anyway, I got out of the car (actually my feet are pretty tough, from going barefoot so much) and got my water bottle. I also searched for something for my hair. Nothing! How could there be nothing I could use?!  I would even be McGyver and improvise - but there was nothing!
Even God had something to work with when He created the world!


After swigging the warm water from the bottle, I sat some more. Finally my discomfort got the best of me and I went into the dentist's office. It had now been 2 hours. I sat down next to a perfectly polished mom with an adorably dressed little girl. I looked like a hillbilly, but tried to appear nonchalant. The cute little girl kept staring at me. Maybe she had never seen someone so bedraggled before! I just wanted to go home and finish getting myself put together!

FINALLY the dentist was finished. It seems they had trouble numbing Nephi up enough to work on one tooth. He came out swollen on one side like a balloon! Poor guy!
Both Nephi and I couldn't get home fast enough!

This experience taught me one thing - put some hair bands in my car!
In the past I had an emergency mani/pedi kit in my glove box. I need a hair maintenance kit, too.

Two factors caught me off guard to being unprepared- last year my hair wasn't long enough for a hair clip, and yesterday it was not this hot!

It makes me wonder about what I'm going to need in an emergency that I can't get access to. Having a drawer full of hair things at home did me no good in the car!

So - maybe I need to look thru my 72 hour kit and see what I've put in there. (Do I have hair bands, for instance?)

I saw a survival kit that one person had put together in an Altoids box. It could fit in your pocket.  Some hair bands included, and I could really use one of those in my  car, in my 72 hr. kit....etc!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment