Wednesday, March 14, 2012

WHAT IF?

Lets play the What If game..........


What if I woke up today and couldn't go to the store ever again?!
What would I run out of first?
Milk.  We would be without milk in 4 days. (I have 4 gallons in the fridge)
Then bread would be the next thing we run out of. I have 2  half-gone loaves in the cupboard - 1 wheat and 1 white. I have 2 loaves of wheat in the freezer.
I could make bread, but I only have about 15 lbs of flour left in my cupboard. I could break out my #10 cans of flour in my Food Storage in the basement.
Fruit would be next. I don't have much fresh fruit in the house.  And fresh veggies; I only have a little celery in the bottom of the fridge.
We could live for a while on the canned goods in the cupboard, but I'm sure they wouldn't last as long as I think.
We would be in to our food storage within a month or 2, and right away on some things.
hmmmm.
maybe I need to go to the store and get enough food to fill my shelves clear up. Maybe get more canned fruit, and some powdered milk. I think I will look into buying a 50 lb bag of non-instant powdered milk from a dairy. We had it years ago, and it tastes better than powdered milk.
Having full cupboards would be the smart thing to do.
playing the What if? game keeps me from playing the Why didn't I? game.




Later, after thinking about this some more:


the full cupboards would be so that I could have time to go to long term survival - not only take inventory to use my food storage, but plant a garden and become more self sufficient.

Monday March 19, 2012
Just organized my canned food cupboard to put away the food I bought over the weekend. It is a good feeling to know I am stocking up a bit. Now that I've reorganized, there is room for more, so the next payday I am going back for more.  Having a cupboard full of foods I cook with and we eat often gives me some peace of mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment